Police Detains Ethiopian Man For Fraud
Man faces charges in Fraud investigation,
Yisef Tilahun Amare, 46,
Police believe there may be other victims,
officers from 43 Division, with the assistance of Peel Regional Police Service, Airport Division, arrested and charged a man in connection with an investigation into immigration and refugee recruiting fraud.
– a man contacted victims from the Ethiopian/Eritrean community and posed as an immigration/refugee agent
– the man offered to assist the victims by bringing their families into Canada for a better life
– the man offered the services and showed false documents to prove that he could assist and gained the victims’ faith
– the man would take money and not provide any services as promised
– the man does not work as an immigration/refugee agent and is unemployed
Yisef Tilahun Amare, 46, of Calgary, Alberta, has been arrested. He is charged with:
2) Laundering Proceeds of Crime
Police believe there may be other victims.