Obama Praises Ethiopian Airlines For Successfully Being The Largest Airline In Africa
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia -When US President Barack Obama arrived here on Sunday to begin his 2-day historic visit to Ethiopia, he was greeted by Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn, Ethiopian Airlines CEO Tewolde Gebremariam, Minister of Foreign Affairs Teodros Adhanom and many other dignitaries at Bole International Airport.
Ethiopian Airlines CEO Tewolde Gebremariam (left), President barack Obama, Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn and Minsiter of Foreign Affairs Teodros Adhanom at Bole International Airport (credit: Ethiopian Airlines)
Mr. Gebremariam had a brief discussion with the U.S. President, during which time Mr. Obama congratulated Ethiopian Airlines for successfully running the largest airline in Africa.
Here are some of the highlights.
• The President expressed his appreciation for the longstanding partnership between Ethiopian and the Boeing Company. He also mentioned that he had been to the Boeing assembly line and expressed his pleasure to see the Boeing 787 Dreamliner in Ethiopian flag.
Mr. Tewolde Gebremariam briefed that:
• Ethiopian has 13 B-787 Dreamliners in operation and has 8 on order. He expressed his happiness on the overall performance of the B-787 Dreamliners reiterating the unique features of this state of the art fleet: Very popular among customers, more humidity on the skies which reduces fatigue and dryness, largest windows on the air, quietest airplane in its category, saves 20% fuel burn from other airplanes in its category, most environmental friendly airplane.
• The historic role contribution of Colonel C. Robinson to Ethiopia and the Ethiopian people, for which Ethiopian Airlines has decided to name one of its airplanes after him.
• The vast network of Ethiopian Airlines: Replying to the president’s question about Ethiopian most profitable routes, Group CEO listed, among many, Washington DC, Beijing, Shanghai, Changzhou, Hong Kong, Luanda etc. Tewolde also explained to H.E. that Ethiopian is currently flying to 91 international destinations in five continents. He further remarked Ethiopian vision to continue the ongoing efforts to re-open the USA Exim Bank as it is Ethiopian guarantor of the loans for the purchase of ET’s Boeing Airplanes.
• Finally, President Obama congratulated Ethiopian Airlines for successfully running the largest airline in Africa.