Johannesburg - The families of murdered 24-year-old Thuto Theko and his girlfriend, 27-year-old Refiloe Moshime, say they want to see the alleged killer have his day in court.
The couple were murdered in April this year.
Speaking at a briefing in Springs in the East Rand on Friday, Theko’s aunt Nthabiseng Masondo said they wanted to see Justice Minister Michael Masutha dealing with corruption at the Springs Magistrate's Court, and ensure that the case of murder was placed under review.
"This matter must be taken to the High Court because we don’t understand why the case of murder was dropped," she said.
It is unclear where the docket is or why the charge of murder has been withdrawn.
Moshime’s father, Mokgoko Moshime, said although he would not get closure over the death of his daughter, seeing the accused going on trial would put him at ease.
"We want the case to be renewed and we want this guy to go back to court. The police told us that we were wasting our time when this first started," he said.
Masondo told News24 that Theko had been out with his friends, but had left after receiving a call from Moshime.
She said when he didn’t return, and rumours that he had been gunned down started circulating, his friends gave the police the number of a man believed to have been having an affair with Moshime.
Moshime was renting a room at the time of her death. Her landlord had alerted the police that when she returned from her night shift, Theko was found lying in a pool of blood in the street outside her home.
Moshime was found on her bed with gunshot wounds.
Taxi owner Themba Bhekumuzi Ndlozi was arrested in connection with the murders, and released on R5 000 bail in the Springs Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.
Ndlozi was allegedly kicked out by the owner following the incident. Ndlozi, who is married with children, is alleged to have been having an affair with Moshime, an allegation he has denied.
During his bail application, Ndlozi said that, when police contacted him after the bodies were discovered, he had told them that he was not with the couple at the time of their death, claiming that he was asleep at the time.
In a separate matter, Ndlozi is due to appear in court on October 6 for being in contravention of the Firearms Control Act.
The National Prosecuting Authority was not available for comment.
220 Views Comments
Addis Abeba, Oct. 26/2017 – At least ten people were killed today and 20 more wounded in a fresh round of protest that started on
222 Views Comments
Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn has not made any recent comments on the unrest that is engulfing major towns in Oromia, including those close to the
347 Views Comments
KUWAIT CITY, Kuwait (Arab Times)―An Egyptian man and an Ethiopian woman who escaped from the Deportation Center at two different locations were apprehended by security